Starting back in 1819, which is the first recorded date of the original 1 Cliffe High Street building having been used as a jeweller, Samuel Berncastle established his outlet.

In 2015, one of our very long established customers from Lewes, East Sussex had this handsome (pictured below) long case clock. It was in need of total refurbishment, both the movement and the case of the clock. Our customer did not want to undertake this, so we agreed to purchase the clock from her. The clock was carefully restored over the next nine months, and now stands proudly in our current 224 High Street, Lewes, showroom. The clock itself has Berncastle painted on the dial, with pretty hand-painted floral decoration applied to the original dial.

It was around 1830 that Mr Solomon then purchcased the business from Mr Berncastle, he may have worked in partnership with Mr Berncastle for a short period. Mr Solomon was a jeweller and also a clockmaker. This clock pictured below was retailed by Solomon, and was acquired by John Clark Senior in the 1960's. It is a round mahogany wall clock, with a fusee movement.

Our most recent find is this rather spectacular wall clock, which has Harris on the dial. This clock originally resided in the County Records office in Lewes, East Sussex. It was auctioned off by the local council, and Mr Clark missed the auction. He managed to track the buyer down, who fortunately was prepared to sell the clock to Mr Clark. It now resides on a rather large wall within the 224 High Street showroom. The clock is nearly 1 meter in height.