Our History

Timeline of W.E. Clark & Son

Date Event
1819 Samuel Burncastle purchases 1 Cliffe High Street and establishes a jewellery business.
1830 Samuel Solomon Purchases business from Burncastle.
1887 Mr Harris Purchases business from Solomon.
1910 Mr Harris joined by Mr Kenward, business becomes Harris & Kenward.
1919 Wilfred Ernest Clark purchases business after WW1 service. W.E. Clark established.
1947 Wilfred’s son John Clark senior joins business as a partner, business becomes W.E. Clark & Son.
1972 John Clark junior takes over business.
1979 John Clark junior purchases 224 High Street and creates second branch of W.E. Clark & Son in Lewes.W.E. Clark & Son joins the Company Of Master Jewellers, the largest national jewellery buying group.
2000 The “Great Flood” hits both shops, the worst in 185 years, both shops undergo a total refurbishment.
2000 David Clark, the fourth generation of the Clark family, joins the business to work alongside his father.
2001 Both showrooms in Lewes are totally refurbished and normal trading resumes after the flood.During this time John & David Clark plan their first international buying trip, this proved to be a great success.
2005 W.E. Clark & Son purchase Charlwood’s Jewellers, Eastbournes’ oldest jewellers.
2008 W.E. Clark & Son continues to go from strength to strength, now with 20 staff the company incorporates to become W.E. Clark & Son Limited.John Clark assumes the position of Chairman and David Clark becomes the Managing Director.
2011 W.E. Clark & Son is fully established in Eastbourne, with the W.E. Clark & Son name now above the door.
2012 Both our Lewes and Eastbourne showrooms undergo massive refurbishments, now with one very large 300 square foot showroom in Lewes at 224 High Street, with a magnificent mezzanine second floor. Our Eastbourne showroom has now a clean and modern feel to it.